Pain Management

Migraine Management

10/31/2008

Question:

I have been getting migraines since I was around 11. I am now in my mid forties. I am finding that suddenly nothing seems to work. I have tried all the different Triptan variations. The one that has always worked best is plain Imitrex. But lately it just takes the headache away for a few hours and it comes right back. I do take an anti-depressant and an anti-epileptic for prophylaxis but those aren't working either. As a woman, is this just a rough time in a migraine sufferers life? I feel like my whole life revolves around my headaches and getting as much done as I can between them.

Answer:

It would be great to have more details about her headache, location, how many hours the attack lasts, how many attacks a week, a month, what other prophylactic medications have you taken, did you receive any injections, do you have any cervical problems? We have so many new innovations to help patients manage their headache. Please do not hesitate to contact me again with the details.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Hammam  Akbik, MD, FIPP Hammam Akbik, MD, FIPP
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Anesthesia