Shadow in my left eye

10/30/2008

Question:

I have a shadow in my left eye which makes focusing difficult sometimes..it is in the center of the eye and is shapped like the nike swish or a quarter moon. I get migraines but this is not like any of my auras...any suggestions?

Answer:

While a shadow in the vision could be due to a number of things, one possibility is that you may have a floater in the back chamber of your left eye. Floaters are caused by the vitreous, which is the jelly-like material that fills the back chamber of the eye, breaking down in its composition. This results in the black specks or lines that we call floaters. Ultimately, the vitreous can become so broken down that it detaches itself from the retina and this is called a posterior vitreous detachment. Flashes may also be seen when the vitreous either pulls or hits the retina.

I recommend you schedule an appointment with your eye doctor for a dilated eye exam for proper evaluation.

It is very important to see your eye doctor immediately if you have had a sudden onset or have noticed a large increase in the number of flashes and floaters, as this may indicate a possible tear of the retina. Certainly if you have noticed a loss in vision, pain, or a dark curtain or veil come across over your vision, this also indicates you must see your eye doctor immediately.

Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Optometry