Lump on head

10/27/2008

Question:

i was told after the birth of my baby that she had a hematoma on her head, that is was nothing to worry about and it would eventually go away. at her 1 month check up it had not decreased in size and i was told to give it more time. well at her 2 month check up the doctor told me that it was NOT a hemotoma but it is where her skull is overlapping and this may or may not get better. the knot on her head is a round lump and is very hard, i would think overlapping would cause an elongated ridge on the head, not a circular lump. baby was delivered by forceps and was wondering if her skull could of been fractured causing this lump. is second opinion needed?

Answer:

I can understand your concern and without being able to examine your child, I cannot provide that second opinion.  I would agree that if you are concerned only a second opinion will provide you the knowledge to relieve your worry.

Michael Spigarelli, MD, PhD
Formerly, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine