Chondromalacia Rx

11/12/2008

Question:

I`ve had 5 weeks of PT with home exercises for chondromalacia patella. My knees hurt more now than they did when I started. I am female, age 60; and moderately active (walk, bike ride, clog dance). I have a history of pain in the right knee. What else may be going on? What alternatives are there for treatment?

Answer:

The term "chondromalacia patella" actually means softening of patellar cartilage, which may or may not be the case... the only way to verify this is by surgery (which is usually not necessary). You most likely have pain in the front of your knees, around your patella (kneecap). This could be due to one or more of a number of different causes... for further information, performing a "search" within this website using the term "chondromalacia patella" yields 43 results at present (using just "chondromalacia" results in 59 "hits"). In addition, follow-up with your physician to discuss further evaluation and management options. If none are offered, consider seeking a second opinion.

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation