Eagles syndrome

11/25/2008

Question:

A recent CT of the Maxofacial shows my styloid processes are elongated measuring 4.5 cm and 5.3 in length with no fracture or inflammatory changes. I have experienced non-stop throat pain, ear pain, sensation of foreign body in throat, hypersalivation, headaches, facial pain for over 2 years. Have been to neurologists, dentists, ENT`s, swallowing specialists, and numerous other doctors without relief. A recent diagnosis is possibly Eagle`s syndrome, however, it seems that no physician has ever really done any surgical treatment or knows how to treat this in my area of the U.S. Most of the doctors have never even heard of it. Could you please direct me to possibly someone who might help me and definitely diagnose me? I am unable to include where I live because of the restrictions indicated in the instructions given on your website.

Answer:

Eagle's syndrome can cause some of your symptoms but not all. Most otolaryngologists should be very familiar with Eagles syndrome and how to treat it (which is relatively straightforward), but it sounds like you need evaluation by someone who is familiar with this. This problem is best addressed by an otolaryngologist who specializes in head and neck surgery. Our university has many of these people, but most university-based otolaryngology practices will also have people who can diagnose and treat this disorder. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Siddarth M Khosla, MD Siddarth M Khosla, MD