Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Healthy Mouth, Healthy Kids

Blister on gum



My eight year old son has a blister on his upper gum. He says it doesn`t hurt but it is the size of a pencil eraser. It is pretty clear but looks like it might have puss in it. Can I treat it from home or should I take him to see his dentist?


Thanks for the question: It's hard to answer this based purely on the description. It could be related to an erupting tooth or an abscess on one already in the mouth or even a healing mouth ulcer.

The best advice is to take him to a dentist who can tell you the source of the blister through an exam and x-rays. Hope this helps.

For more information:

Go to the Healthy Mouth, Healthy Kids health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Sarath  Thikkurissy, DDS, MS Sarath Thikkurissy, DDS, MS
Director, Residency Program, Division of Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati