Gynecology

I`m scared

11/07/2008

Question:

Okay, this may be a bit too much information for you but i SERIOUSLY need answers...

Im 17, and have been sexually active for a year. my mother has been informed of this, and thought that "jsut condoms" was okay, because she couldnt afford to take me to the doctor..

recently, i have had intercourse (beginning of the month, after period ended. A condom was used, and it held. Its time for my period to start, and its REALLY REALLY light, just spotting. Im scared, badly. In the first place, the sex was completely consented, i kinda gave in to it. ive been a bit stressed lately, and worked more hours at work then normal. WHAT is going on? Any clue?

Answer:

First, I am glad you were responsible enough to consider contraception and also using condoms to prevent pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections. While condoms are better than nothing, they do have a significant failure rate that needs to be considered. You should continue to use condoms, but also use a better method of contraception like a birth control pill , etc. (search this site for an article on contraception). Birth control pills can be purchased at less than $5 per month at some discount pharmacies or clinics like Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood also provides the necessary counseling visit at a very affordable rate. All of this is much cheaper than an unplanned pregnancy.

If you had a period, no matter how light, it probably means everything is OK. You could wait until your next period to see if it is also on time. If not, a pregnancy test will be able to determine if you are/aren't pregnant. The most fertile period of your cycle is just after your menstrual flow ends and to about 2 weeks before your next period.

Lastly, I am concerned that you "gave in" to having sex. This is a big decision with serious physical and emotional consequences. You should make sure you are ready to deal with any of the consequences including pregnancy. Your partner should respect your decisions and never force or even try to persuade you.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education