Spine and Back Health

Coccyalgia

11/11/2008

Question:

Dear Dr, I have diagnosis Coccyalgia/Coccydynia, so I have a pain in my tailbone. It hurts from time to time and when I`m moving, a go to the physiotherapy / 2 for this year/ but anything.., I use a pill for the inflammation,so my question is: Is there any treatment of this deasease ... because it is not very comfortable... I don`t know why now it comes to me /I`m 27 years old/ probably because I`m driving a lot and sitting every day 8 hours min...! Thank you in advance.

Answer:

Hello, thank you for your question. The first treatment is to not sit for 8 hours per day minimum. You need to get pressure off this area. Sometimes using certain “doughnut” type seat cushions help, so you’re not sitting on the sore area anymore. Sometimes people get cortisone injections into the area. In rare cases that don’t respond to any kind of treatment, certain people have surgery to remove the coccyx. My understanding is that this surgery is not successful very often, though. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery