Infertility

I Am Drinking 4 - 5 Liters of Water a Day

11/13/2008

Question:

Hi, I am 30 years old and for past 2 years I have been drinking almost 4 to 5 liters of water a day. I don`t exercise at all. By profession I am a software engineer and weighs about 165 lbs.

Due to so much water consumption I am unable to get any rest in the night time. I consume more than a liter water in the night. Whenever I feel I am thirsty, I just can`t control it, I have to have water at that time.

I have done all blood tests and the results are normal. Nothing that is outstanding.

Could you please help me figure what could be happening? We have been trying to get pregnant for almost past 2 years as well. But no luck so far. Now I am on medicines like Clomid (but still no luck).

Could my drinking too much water be related to infertility? Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Answer:

This question has been forwarded by Diet and Nutrition:

Regarding your excessive fluid intake, I would also make sure that you do not have diabetes insipidus which is characterized by excessive urine output, and thirst.   It is caused by deficiency of a brain hormone.  You have already stated that you have had a complete endocrinologic work-up, so that should have been evaluated.  If you have had a completely negative work-up, you would need to have an infertility evaluation.

If you have been attempting pregnancy for greater than 1 year without success, an infertility evaluation would be indicated.  This would consist of a semen analysis in your husband, a blood test to see if you are ovulating, as well as a dye test to make sure that your fallopian tubes are open.  Treatment usually consists of fertility pills or shots combined with intrauterine insemination (injection of your husband's sperm into your uterus at the time of insemination) or in vitro fertilization (stimulation of your ovaries to make extra eggs, removal of those eggs from you ovary followed by mixing with your husband's sperm, allowing fertilization of the eggs and growth into embryos; approximately 2 embryos would then be injected into your uterus).

For more information about the above tests/treatment, please contact your doctor. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD