Urinary Disorders

Kidney Abscess - how soon for treatment?

11/06/2008

Question:

I have been diagnosed with a "resolving" kidney abscess through an ultrasound that was looking for something else. I have pain in the kidney area. I am following up with an MRI tomorrow. However, it has been a week since the ultrasound, and probably over a month since I had the UTI that possibly caused this. I also have diabetes. My gastroenterologist is the one who ordered the tests, but he wants my primary care to follow up. Should I sidestep it all and find a urologist ASAP? How long can I wait to start antibiotics, and do those antibiotics have to be IV? I do not have a fever but do feel run down. Thanks.

Answer:

I would suggest that you follow up with your primary care physician for the results of the MRI as soon as it is done. It also sounds very reasonable to be seen by a urologist. Antibiotic treatment will be based on clinical symptoms, urine findings, kidney imaging and blood work if appropriate.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology