Colorectal Diseases

Polyps

11/10/2008

Question:

I had a routine colonoscopy(my first) a year ago (56 years old, good health, no history of colon cancer). Three small polyps were discovered and removed (non-cancerous). The doctor recommended a follow up colonoscopy within a year. Everything that I have read suggest a follow up 3-5 years. Are there specific questions that I should ask regarding why so soon? Thank you

Answer:

Your doctor has recommended the right thing. You had more than one polyp, and most likely (from the recommendation) all were adenomatous, or pre-cancerous. Also, knowing whether or not the quality of your prep was good may influence timing of a surveillance exam. So, questions to ask:

1. Were the three polyps pre-cancerous? What exactly was the histology (path report)?
2. Where were they located?
3. Were any of the polyps dysplastic?
4. Was my bowel prep good enough for you to see the lining of my colon adequately?

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division