Hemochromatosis

Types of foods and vitamins

11/06/2008

Question:

I was diagnosed with hemochromatosis I have been having phlebotomies done. Once a month and now once every two months for 1 year now. My question is what types of food should I avoid. I was told read meat and spinach and a few other things. Should I never eat them or is it okay to eat them from time to time. Also I use too take Centrum Multi Vitamins I was told by one doctor to stop taking them because of the iron in them and another doctor told me it was fine to take them. So should I take those vitamins or not if not what kind can I take I`m 27 and a male thank you for your time

Answer:

For dietary guidelines, please refer to the information from the Iron Disorders Institute at http://www.irondisorders.org/.

I simply suggest any multiple vitamin is fine as long as it doesn't contain iron, of which there are many over-the-counter options that can be purchased.

Diet Recommendations for Hemochromatosis
Diet Fact Sheet

Go to the Hemochromatosis health topic, where you can:

Mark   Wurster, MD Mark Wurster, MD
Former Clinical Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine