Dental Anesthesia

Thank you

11/13/2008

Question:

First I would like to say thanky ou to Dr. Ganzberg for his response to my question a few days ago regarding the removal of my fully grown in upper wisdom teeth and a bad experience I had with epi pain med. I had them pulled yesterday using pain med w/o epi and I didn`t feel a thing. So thankful! My goal now is to prevent dry socket. I have a couple of questions for you that my dentist was not totally clear on: When is it safe to go running and lift weights? When can I drink soda? When can I use toothpaste? When can I drink hot things like coffee? Thanks so much!

Answer:

I am not an oral surgeon, rather a dentist anesthesiologist, but after 24 hours, if there is no bleeding, you can eat whatever you can tolerate while trying to avoid the area. Brush carefully in the area so as not to dislodge the clot. Light exercise is fine for 48 hours and normal exercise after that. Contact your dentist to make sure he or she agrees with these recommendations. I am glad everything went well.

Go to the Dental Anesthesia health topic, where you can:

Steven I Ganzberg, SB, DMD, MS Steven I Ganzberg, SB, DMD, MS
Formerly, Clinical Professor of Dentistry