Infertility

Don`t Know How To Stop The Bleeding

12/10/2008

Question:

I was under a treatment for unexplained infertility with Clomid (to stimulate ovulation, though I did ovulate normally), all this for 3 cycles. And I had normal periods (3-5 days of bleeding). My last cycle with clomid was this month and I am experiencing a very long period (never had this problem before). I`m on the 14th day of my cycle and still bleeding. I was prescribed Progesterone (3 times a day) untill the 27th day of my cycle to help stop the bleeding, but it has only slowed down..not fully stopped. Is there any place where I can find more info about this problem? I was prescribed Clomid because of my age (40) and because of my husband's low sperm count. And never had any problems, or cysts. Just unexplained infertility. Now I don`t know how to stop the bleeding and my doctor does not seem very concerned about this. Any info, websites, suggestions, or natural suplement suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

If your husband has low sperm counts, you probably have male factor infertility as opposed to unexplained infertility. 

In a couple with male factor, treatment consists of getting the sperm and egg closer together.  There are 2 ways to accomplish this: 

1. Intrauterine insemination (IUI) - involves injection of your partner's sperm into your uterus at the time of ovulation

2. In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) - involves stimulating your ovaries with fertility shots to make more eggs, taking those eggs out of the ovary and mixing with your partner's sperm, allowing the eggs to fertilize and grow into embryos, then transferring 2 embryos back into your uterus.  

Because of your age (decreased fertility rates after age 40), I would probably recommend IVF. 

With regards to your bleeding, you should have had an HSG (dye test) to make sure that the uterine cavity was normal and that  the fallopian tubes are open.   If this were normal, you can always take birth control pills (twice per day for 5-7 days).  This would stop any bleeding within 2-3 days.  Prior to taking any hormones, a pregnancy test should be performed.  Also, an endometrial biopsy should also be considered to make sure that there are no abnormal cells in the uterine lining that are causing the bleeding.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD