Breast Cancer

Inverted left nipple

11/18/2008

Question:

I am 64 yrs.old and the past year I have had a inverted nipple is this a cancer sign? I have even put ice on it but the nipple does not come out. why? I do not have insurance until January of 2009 then I will have medicare and Aetna. mean while I am very worried this might be something to really be concerned about, I have no pain or discomfort, as far as I know this does not run in the family. Thank you.

Answer:

You are right to be concerned.  The new onset of nipple inversion can certainly be a sign of an underlying cancer.  Generally, cancers of the breast are not painful, so the absence of discomfort does not rule out the possibility of cancer.  I certainly think that this needs to be evaluated.  While you are waiting for your insurance to start, you may be able to find a center where mammograms are offered charitably, but I think this should be addressed without delay.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Doreen M Agnese, MD Doreen M Agnese, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Surgery