Athletic Training

Student athletic trainers

11/18/2008

Question:

I am a high school student who is involved in two different varsity sports. I am also involved with club volleyball outside of school. I am wanting to get involved with student athletic training at my high school. What should be the first step to being one. What do you suggest I learn first, and how much do you think I should be aloud to do. I would very much appreciate your advice, as we have never had a student athletic trainer at our school before.

Answer:

Thank you for your question and your interest in the athletic training profession. It sounds like you have a lot of activites and are able to manage your time well. That is a great quality in athletic training.

You do not mention whether your school has an athletic trainer. I would check with your coaches or athletic director. If so, meet with him/her and let them know you are interested in learning and helping in the athletic training room.

If your school does not have an athletic trainer, I would suggest that you contact a local sports medicine clinic and ask if they employ an ATC. Ask to spend some time shadowing that person and that will give you an idea of your interest in the profession.

Additionally, many hospitals, sports medicine clinics and universities offer Athletic Training Camps or one-day workshops.  This is a great way to learn basic skills and meet other students who have similiar interests as yourself.

Good luck!

Ohio Athletic Trainers Association

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Vincent J O'Brien, ATC Vincent J O'Brien, ATC
Head Athletic Trainer
Clinical Instructor at the School of Allied Medical Professions