Lung Cancer

Symptoms of lung cancer

Hi i`m 29 yrs old and recently quit smoking. Used to smoke 6-7 a day 4 about 11-12 yrs. Recently i was diagnosed with costochondritis after a chest infection. However i am really scared that the chest pain i am experiencing may be because of lung cancer. The only symptoms i have are the chest pain which is slightly tender to touch and increases with upper body exercise. I did have a slight cough but has gone now. The cough was not severe. I was coughing up mucus but most has cleared now only have a little bit in the morning. I have read your link about the symptoms of lung cancer being cough and chest pain and phlegm. Do my symptoms sound like lung cancer symptoms? I have been to 2 doctors now and they both diagnosed the chest pain as costochondritis but all they do is listen to my chest. Also i have a weird itchy sensation sometimes too, deep inside my body in my upper back area (area of my right lung) I have experienced this before when i was younger but always thought it was linked to asthma but now i am not sure. Does this sound like a symptom of lung cancer too? I mentined this symptom to my gp but he didn`t seem to pay much notice to it. Please give me your opinion. Thank you.

It is not likely to be lung cancer at your age.  Lung cancer can cause pain, but only if it is involving the ribs.  This would have been seen on a CXR.  If you haven't had a chest XR or CT scan, that would probably be a good idea.  If you are not satisfied with the doctors you have seen, I would recommend referral to a chest surgeon.

I hope this helps.

Go to the Lung Cancer health topic, where you can:

Sandra L Starnes, MD Sandra L Starnes, MD
Assistant Professor of Surgery