Lung Cancer

Symptoms of lung cancer

01/21/2009

Question:

Hi i`m 29 yrs old and recently quit smoking. Used to smoke 6-7 a day 4 about 11-12 yrs. Recently i was diagnosed with costochondritis after a chest infection. However i am really scared that the chest pain i am experiencing may be because of lung cancer. The only symptoms i have are the chest pain which is slightly tender to touch and increases with upper body exercise. I did have a slight cough but has gone now. The cough was not severe. I was coughing up mucus but most has cleared now only have a little bit in the morning. I have read your link about the symptoms of lung cancer being cough and chest pain and phlegm. Do my symptoms sound like lung cancer symptoms? I have been to 2 doctors now and they both diagnosed the chest pain as costochondritis but all they do is listen to my chest. Also i have a weird itchy sensation sometimes too, deep inside my body in my upper back area (area of my right lung) I have experienced this before when i was younger but always thought it was linked to asthma but now i am not sure. Does this sound like a symptom of lung cancer too? I mentined this symptom to my gp but he didn`t seem to pay much notice to it. Please give me your opinion. Thank you.

Answer:

It is not likely to be lung cancer at your age.  Lung cancer can cause pain, but only if it is involving the ribs.  This would have been seen on a CXR.  If you haven't had a chest XR or CT scan, that would probably be a good idea.  If you are not satisfied with the doctors you have seen, I would recommend referral to a chest surgeon.

I hope this helps.

Go to the Lung Cancer health topic, where you can:

Sandra L Starnes, MD Sandra L Starnes, MD
Assistant Professor of Surgery