Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Dental Anesthesia

Novacaine allergy



Do you know of a physician who specializes in allergies or sensitivities to local anesthesia? I appear to be sensitive, rather than allergic, to Novacaine as documented through allergy testing and my allergist states I should not have it again and should go under general anesthesia for dental issues. This is extremely difficult to coordinate and expensive and I`m looking for options.


There is not a physician who specializes in this. If you have a dental school nearby with a dentist anesthesiologist, many of them do local anesthesia testing with full monitoring and emergency equipment available. That may be your best option.

You can also inquire with private practice dentist anesthesiologists. There is a partial listing at http://www.asdahq.org/.

For more information:

Go to the Dental Anesthesia health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Steven I Ganzberg, SB, DMD, MS Steven I Ganzberg, SB, DMD, MS
Formerly, Clinical Professor of Dentistry
College of Dentistry
The Ohio State University