Spine and Back Health

Please tell me what this MRI means

12/03/2008

Question:

My findings say multiplanar multi-sequence MRI of the lumbar spine was performed. the images demonstrate normal height and alignment of the lumbar vertebral bodies. there is no significant height loss there is no bony lesion seen. slight signal loss is noted involving L2-3, L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1 levels. conus medullaris is noted at level L1. surrounding soft tissues are unremarkable.

L1-2 level is unremarkable.

L2-3 level demonstrates mild disk signal loss, with no evidence for disk bulge or herniation.

L3-4 and L4-5 levels demonstrate mild diffuse disk bulge, with minimal central disk herniation, but no evidence for neural frontal stenosis or significant thecal sac narrowing.

L5-S-1 level demonstrates prominent broad-based central disk herniation, with no evidence for neural foraminal stenosis or significant thecal sac narrowing.

please explain to me what this means and what the fix is for it. i.e. surgery therapy.... i have already been on meds for a long time about 5 years and this was a re-evaluation and i have also tried massage therapy because my wife is a massage therapist.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, we try to answer general questions about health but cannot diagnose or recommend treatment. You appear to have some very, very specific questions about your condition, which can only be answered properly by a physician who is familiar with your history, physical exam, and test results. Your questions about the testing results you've been given or the risks, benefits, and alternatives for proposed treatments of this condition need to be directed to your treating physician(s). You should insist that they answer these questions in a way that you are able to understand before consenting to any treatment. If your physician is unable to help you understand these issues, you should get a second opinion. Take care.

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery