Gynecology

Abnormal period/period like bleeding

12/17/2008

Question:

I am 24 years old, I`ve never been exactly regular with my periods before but they`ve always been the normal 5-7 days as well as a fairly consistent flow. But this month I started spotting on the 3rd and it got slightly heavier around the 14th, then went back to spotting until the 19th. I figured it had just been abnormally long due to a combination of the prolonged stress I`ve been under as well as the fact that their have been several large changes in my life. However, today (the 19th) I started again... I talked to my mom who is concerned because she says it isn`t normal and she worries since she had cervical cancer when she was in her early 20`s resulting in a full hysterectomy. Do you have any idea what could be causing this?

Answer:

True, cervical cancer is extremely rare at your age and there is no hereditary component so your risk isn't any higher because of your mom's history. Without an exam and a history, I don't know what could be causing this irregular bleeding, but you can find out more about abnormal bleeding at our website: http://www.netwellness.org/healthtopics/women/menstrualbleeding.cfm

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education