Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Sports Medicine

High ankle sprain



I recently fell off the uneven bars at gymnastics. I fell over the low bar and slammed my ankle down on the concrete (there was a gap in the mats) The athletic trainer said that I have a high ankle sprain and gave me crutches and an aircast. 3 Days have passed and I can sort of walk (no weight on the ankle, just the toes) and it hurts really bad. I was doing some research online to see what I should do for a high ankle sprain and it said that they are almost always treated in a cast. The brace he gave me does not limit motion up and down (which is what hurts) Should I go to the doctor?


Yes.  You need tests to determine if there was a fracture.  If there is no fracture then you need tests to determine the extent of the sprain.  That will get you the best treatment and get you back to gymnastics faster.

For more information:

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Tammy S Wadsworth, PT MS OCS Tammy S Wadsworth, PT MS OCS
Sports Medicine Team Member
Clinical Instructor at The School of Allied Medical Professions
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University