Burning sensation nose and sinuses

12/03/2008

Question:

I keep getting a burning sensation in my nose and sinuses that feel like I just got pool water up my nose. I have no drainage or any other symptoms. It is intermittant but frequent. This has been a recurrent problem for 2-3 months.I thought it was an allergic reaction to something. I took Benadryl and it helped a little. I did try a 10 day round of Amoxicillin but it really didn`t help. I am miserable. Any suggestions?

Answer:

This is a nonspecific symptom in the nose that may be due to infection, allergies, dryness and crusting, vasomotor rhinitis, or some other less common conditions.  I suggest you consult an ENT physician who can thoroughly examine your nose to rule out these possibilities.

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy