Athletic Training

Why does my foot still hurt?

12/03/2008

Question:

I hurt my foot about 2 weeks ago. I`ve been on crutches for my knee and i hit my foot really hard on a metal conducting podeum. I wasn`t able to put any pressure on the side of my 5th metatarsal or even wear a shoe on my foot. It still really hurts but my mom won`t take me to the doctor. Both my school trainer and I think that it might be broken. What do you think is wrong with my foot and what should I do about it?

Answer:

Continued pain in an area could be indicative of a fracture in the foot. Most injuries tend to resolve on their own within a given time period. That you are continuing to experience pain and difficulty walking may warrant a trip to see your physician if you are unable to bear weight because of pain. It doesn't sound like you are having good luck with injuries lately, but hopefully you are on the mend soon.

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences