Infertility

Menstration

12/10/2008

Question:

I have very heavy bleeding, severe cramping, lower back pain, neausa, dizziness, almost passing out, hot and cold flashes. I am also trying to have a baby. I just had a pap smear about a month and a half ago and it came back normal. What could be causing this? Could this have been causing me not to be pregnant yet?

Answer:

You should see your physician for evaluation.  Heavy periods could be cause by hormonal abnormalities.  You should be evaluated for hormonal causes such as thyroid disease or increased prolactin (these are simple blood tests).   Thyroid disorders can also cause cold and heat intolerance.  If you have irregular periods, it is likely that you are not regularly ovulating (making an egg).   If your periods are very heavy, it could also be caused by a polyp or fibroid inside your uterine cavity.   You should see your physician for the above blood testing, including a blood count to test for anemia.  A pregnancy test should also be done. 

If you wish to become pregnant and are not ovulating, treatment is simple and consists of taking a fertility pill to get you to ovulate.  Prior to treatment, your husband should have a semen analysis, and you should consider having a dye test to see if your tubes are open. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD