Parkinson's Disease

Anterocollis and neck fusion

12/10/2008

Question:

Diagnosed with Parkinson`s in 1997 starting with a focal dystonia in left foot. Had DBS to help with that in 2001.It was successful. By 2003 developed anterocollis. Had second DBS( Bilateral GPi) but little help for anterocollis. Neck has changed so it is flat and head is down on chest and seriously hindering quality of life as I am only in early 60`s. A neurosurgeon has offered a neck fusion. Am interested in your knowledge of others who may have had this type of surgery and whether it helped or not.

Answer:

There are people with Parkinson's disease who have severe abnormal neck posturing resulting in anterocollis.  The chronic abnormal neck posturing can lead to significant spinal cord disease including spinal stenosis.  The need for neurosurgical intervention for the spine disease is made on a case by case basis, but not otherwise recommended for anterocollis.  Sometimes, occupational therapy or rehabilitation can provide chest-neck bracing for significant anterocollis.  I suggest you discuss this further with your doctor.

Go to the Parkinson's Disease health topic, where you can:

Punit  Agrawal, DO Punit Agrawal, DO
Assistant Professor of Neurology