Rehabilitation

Shattered tibia (recovery time)

01/06/2009

Question:

Good Day, I am a Gunnery Sergeant in the United States Marines. I had a shattered Tibia from the middle of the shin up, with no broken skin. My Ortho Doctor at Camp Lejeune Naval Hospital cut me open and used plates and pins with some cadaver bone. He did an awesome job! I was splinted and then braced for six weeks before weight bearing. It has been over two months and; I still have crutches and am using a cane just around the house. I undergo aggresive physical therapy twice a week and do PT at home also. I am looking at retiring from service after 21 years for obvious reasons. I am fit and healthy but am 47.5 years old. I understand that it will never be the same. My question is this, How long estimated, will it take for a full recovery? Thank You. Semper Fidelis,

Answer:

The bone should heal in three months but the soft tissue around it may take six months.  Your physical therapist would be the best person to ask for specifics on your case.

Go to the Rehabilitation health topic, where you can:

Tammy S Wadsworth, PT MS OCS Tammy S Wadsworth, PT MS OCS
Sports Medicine Team Member
Clinical Instructor at The School of Allied Medical Professions