What`s this weird thing?

01/21/2009

Question:

Well to start off I`m seventeen. This is embarassing but I`ve been feeling this awkward thing in the lower part of my uterus. When i press a bit on that part of my stomach , i feel pain. It hurts and I really don`t know what it is. I haven`t had sexual intercourse in my life so it can`t be related to sex. I checked on the internet and found something called a prolapsed uterus. Well, i`m scared it might be that but i`m not too sure. So i finally checked my vaginal area and i found something wierd. There`s like this piece of muscle or tissue sticking out of the entrance. I don`t think it was ever there before and when i feel inside, it seems as if all the muscles are swollen. I`ve been having a lot of trouble putting tampons in, and when i do i get this really qweezy feeling. I get all warm and heated up. The last time i tried to pull a tampon out it hurt so bad! But it doesn`t normally. My girl friends tell me that it`s wierd that i can`t pull out a tampon after using them for over a year now. I`m sorry my text is so long but i`m really worried. I`m still young and i`m scared i won`t be able to have sex later on. Is it possible that these are all symptoms of a prolapsed uterus?

Answer:

I am fairly certain, without any history of surgery or child birth, that you do not have a prolapsed uterus.  What you are describing may well be normal, but will require an examination by someone experienced with adolescent aged women such as an adolescent medicine physician or adolescent gynecologist.  Please check with your local pediatric hospital for that type of physician and be seen so that you can understand what is going on with your body.

Michael Spigarelli, MD, PhD
Formerly, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine