Pancreatic Cancer

Final stage symptoms of met liver cancer

12/29/2008

Question:

A good friend was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer which has metastasized to the liver - what are the symptoms that he is close to death - he has one good day and two bad days - he was recently taken to a hispice facility and they kicked him out because he tried to escape - anything to look for? I can`t find any information anywhere on the internet that will let us know when the time is nearing. He is now at home for now. I know everyone is different.

Thanks so much

Answer:

It is difficult to predict. However, patients with metastatic disease to liver including those with pancreatic cancer usually develop liver failure manifested as jaundice, nausea, obtundation, swollen abdomen and poor oral intake. Usually status declines slowly and then when signs of liver failure occur, patient's organs fail ultimately.

Go to the Pancreatic Cancer health topic, where you can:

Malek  Safa, MD Malek Safa, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine