Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Women's Health

Bleeding during sex - please help!!!



Hi there, I am hoping for some answers regarding ongoing bleeding during sex. My partner and I have been dating for a year and I bleed during sex every single time we try. I dont want to have sex anymore because I know I will bleed all over the place and don`t want to soil the sheets again! It is ruining our sex life and our relationship. I have had a few pap smears, been tested for STD`s, I had a colposcopy done and a biopsy. Everything has come back negative. My gyno said my cervix was very vascular and suggested it was due to the pill. I had my cervix cauterized and he inserted the Mirena IUD saying it was supposed to stop bleeding. The insertion was in September and I just had it removed on Dec 18th because I could not tolerate the cramps and ongoing bleeding (I bled every single day since insertion and the two attempts at intercourse resulted in soiled sheets and blood everywhere). My gyno said my cervix looked good after removal, and gave me marvelon which I began taking that night. My partner and I attempted again the day after I had the Mirena removed, and I bled again right after orgasm. I never feel any pain and my partner is very gentle. I am so sick and tired of bleeding all the time and the anxiety that comes along with it. I am always checking to see if I am bleeding and we always have to shower afterwards. I have lost motivation and I can tell my partner is frustrated, we are drifting apart because of this.

I want to enjoy sex again, and want to find a solution. My gyno said it could possibly be endometriosis, any other suggestions? Should I stop taking the pill altogether?


Bleeding following sex is more likely to be from the cervix or vagina and not caused by endometriosis or the pill. It sounds like you have already had many tests to rule out common causes such as infection, cervical dysplasia, or a laceration (tear).

The most important part of treating this condition is an exam to see where the bleeding is coming from. The doctor who does the exam should be able to cause similar bleeding by reproducing the friction that can occur with intercourse. If there is a specific area of inflammation where bleeding occurs, freezing or cauterizing that area might help.

For more information:

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University