Gum and ear pain

12/30/2008

Question:

My husband had a cold and his right ear was hurting him then he had a sharp pain and it started bleeding. It has now stopped bleeding but now his top front gums are hurting him. He says its like when he sits or eats something hot he can feel it coming on and the pain get pretty bad at times. Can you tell me what you think . I cant get him to go to the dr . Is there anything I can do to help him? Thank you

Answer:

From your description, it sounds as if your husband has a severe infection. It could include both the ear and the sinuses. He needs to visit his physician and/or dentist to determine the source of his pain. The pain on eating something hot could be either dental or sinus related. A visit to his doctors is the only way to know for sure. Depending on the problem, they usually get worse and some of the infections can become life threatening.

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry