Burning tongue

12/30/2008

Question:

I`ve been having problems with my tongue burning all the time. I`ve noticed lately that my mouth is so dry at night it wakes me up and I have to go rinse my mouth. also I have this white film especially towards the back of my tongue that won`t go away. I rinse and it right back. if I brush my tongue it feels raw and then cracks with a tiny bit of blood. is there anything I can do for this?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. From your description, it sounds like you may have a condition called 'Burning Mouth Syndrome'. For more information please refer to the NetWellness article on Burning Mouth Syndrome. If an oral and maxillofacial pathologist is available, he/she would be a good choice for an evaluation and any additional recommendations regarding management.

NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration