Blood blister in cheek

12/31/2008

Question:

I infrequently get a large blood blister on the inside of my cheek where the cheek meets the gums. I have been getting them in the same place for over 40 years. I was once told that they were from sucking my cheek. Since I have severe asthma and breath through my mouth when sleeping and do not suck on my cheek when awake I have never found this a plausible explanation. The blisters are not painful but usually just large and annoying. I just wondered if there is anyone who had knowledge of this type of thing.

Answer:

First of all, what does your physician or dentist think? I can only guess what is occurring without knowing more about your medical history, current medications, and dental status (dentures, partial dentures, etc.).

These are all questions that need to be addressed before one can make an educated diagnosis (among other items!). Because this problem has been going on for 40 years, I would be interested in what has been documented in your dental/medical record as to what is presumed to be happening. The most likely answer is that this is factial injury/trauma from something you do subconsciously during sleep.

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine