Weird bump

01/05/2009

Question:

I have a red bump that looks like its filled with blood on the inside of my cheek. Its not painful, and I just noticed it today. Should I burst it like a zit or put something on it?

Answer:

While it would be impossible to say exactly what this is without doing an examination, the most likely possiblities would be a benign collection of blood vessels (called a hemangioma) or a small area of bleeding (you don't say how large this is) just underneath the lining of the mouth, sort of like a bruise.

The submucosal hemorrhage (bleeding under the lining of the mouth) would be most common, especially if the red bump is in an area that can easily be caught between the teeth, such as the side of the cheek.

Usually this problem goes away on its own within 1-2 weeks, but if it doesn't and you want to find out what it is, then you should see an oral pathologist. It would not be a good idea to treat it without knowing exactly what it is.

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology