Clobetasole or mometasone

12/31/2008

Question:

Respected Sir, I am from India and very much impressed by the quality services offered by you which benefit the patients. I have a psoriasis which is under control Only thing is I started with betamethasone and salicylic 6. Recently I have been transferred to a remote place where it is difficult to have the cream of betamethasone and salicylic acid. My dermatologist asked me to take Mometasone or clobetasole with salicylic acid. Can U expalin me whether clobetasole is better or mometasone in a layman`s language. I shall be obliged to receive your guidance Thanks in anticipation

Answer:

Clobetasol is a stronger type of topical corticosteroid than mometasone. While clobetasol could be used over problematic areas and thick scales of psoriasis on the body, care must be taken to NOT use it on the face, groin and other sensitive areas of the skin. Mometasone may be applied thinly over sensitive areas of the skin but it should also not be used in a prolonged manner, as side effects of skin atrophy (thinning) may also become evident after prolonged use.

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center