Cancer

Radiation Side Effects

01/12/2009

Question:

My husband recently completed prophylatic brain radiation treatmemt for lung cancer on the left side. During the chemo and lung radiation treatments a small mass began to grow on the right lower jaw bone, as a preventive radiation treatment was give to this 2-3cm growth. It dissappeared in time, but just as I was completed, the brain preventive radiation it grew back. It`s not painful just annoying to the shirt collar. My doctors never performed a biobsy and suggested I see a neck throat and ear specialinst to have it surgically removed. And most recently my jaw bone begin to pop when speaking or chewing. What other options are there?

Answer:

Based on what you have noted here about your medical history and the presentation of this mass on your lower right jaw, an office evaluation by an ear, nose and throat specialist is very appropriate. The evaluation would include an examination and depending on what they see and feel, may also include radiologic imaging and possibly a needle biopsy, and possibly surgical removal. Any lump and bump in the face or neck should be evaluated thouroughly.

Go to the Cancer health topic, where you can:

Cheryl  Koliha-Brandt, MSN, RN, CNS, CORLN Cheryl Koliha-Brandt, MSN, RN, CNS, CORLN
Clinical Nurse Specialist and Instructor of
Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology 
Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing

Pierre  Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS Pierre Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS
Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery