Arthritis and Rheumatism

What Does Intramedullary Calcification Mean?

01/07/2009

Question:

I had an X-Ray done of my legs due to pain and was told that I have intramedullary calcification in both legs. I am in contstant pain and the pain medicines don't work. Sometimes the pain radiates through my whole leg. I have an appointment with a rheumatologist but can`t get in until April. I can`t find any info about this condition anywhere on the internet. The doctor told me basically my bone marrow is calcifying and that part of my bone has died. Can you please send me some info on this condition? I am in the dark here. Please help shed some light on this condition. I don`t know where it is going to lead me in my life. Please help.

Answer:

Unfortunately, NetWellness is unable to provide its readers with definitive diagnoses based on reported clinical findings, particularly with an unusual report of intramedullary calcification. Calcifications within the bone marrow may occur with certain metabolic disorders or with disruption of the bone from trauma, surgical intervention or other causes. You also describe bone death, a phenomenon known as avascular necrosis which also has many associated causes. I am not certain if avascular necrosis may be the primary radiographic finding that is mimicking as intramedullary calcifications in your case. It would be reasonable to consult with an Orthopaedist in addition to a Rheumatologist, particularly if this is avascular necrosis involving bones in the lower extremities.

Go to the Arthritis and Rheumatism health topic, where you can:

Raymond  Hong, MD, MBA, FACR Raymond Hong, MD, MBA, FACR
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Medicine