Colorectal Diseases

Odd sensation on my left side...colon maybe.

01/12/2009

Question:

About 2 weeks ago for the first time, I have experienced off and on a very odd feeling on my left side (on the side not left front or left back) just below my ribs. Sometimes it is a little higher and sometimes a little lower. It feels almost like a fluttering feeling that will last from a few seconds to maybe six seconds. I think it is my colon. It does not hurt at all, just a little annoying because I am concerned about it. My stools are completely normal in size shape color etc. The feeling is different than anything else I have every experienced. I can go several days without it happening. WHAT ARE SOME OF THE THINGS IT COULD BE? BTW I am 59 and 250 lbs.

Thanks,

Answer:

With the duration of your symptoms being only momentary, it is most likely musculoskeletal in origin- hernia, spasm, inflammation, etc. If you have not recently visited your primary doctor to describe your symptoms and have a physical exam, please do so.

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division