Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Ureter Tract Abnormality

01/15/2009

Question:

My daughter-in-law had an ultrasound that showed an enlarged right kidney of the baby (girl). The right ureter tract was attached to lower part of the bladder instead of the top portion. She is now 29 weeks. The kidney was 20cm at 25 weeks and 15cm now. However, it goes back and forth. How is this going to affect the baby`s kidney, and how/or can it be corrected? Everything I have researched does not mention this particular abnomality.

Answer:

Unfortunately, there is insufficient information to provide much direction. It sounds like she has hydronephrosis and a dilated ureter. That condition may be due to urinary reflux, obstruction, or non-obstructive enlargement, and it may be associated with a duplicated urinary tract, in which 2 ureters drain the kidney rather than one. A fetal sonogram at 32 to 34 weeks usually provides more information, but it is impossible to make a definite determination until the baby is born. We generally do not recommend early delivery. If the problem requires surgery, it is very safe and usually successful.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology