Sarcoidosis

Is It Safe To Have Cosmetic Surgery To Repair My Face?

01/13/2009

Question:

I have neurosarcoidosis and take 2000 mg of cellcept per day, will be off of prednisone in the next few days. I have permanent damage in my face (one side). Do you think it would be safe for me to have cosmetic surgery on my face to give me a more normal appearance? My chronic symptoms other than one side of my face being paralyzed are imbalance, fatigue and dizziness. Thank you for your input.

Answer:

I agree with attempts to normalize the appearance of your face, assuming that the cosmetic surgeons feel that you will heal properly on the medications being used to treat your sarcoidosis. In this regard, prednisone and cellcept delay wound healing and increase the chance of infections. As such, it would be best to reduce those medications to the lowest effective doses prior to any surgical procedure. Decisions of this sort are best made in coordination between the doctor managing your sarcoidosis and the surgeon planning to perform the procedure.

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine