Root Canals

Throbbing pain after temporary filling put in

01/07/2009

Question:

Hi, I had root canal about 3 weeks ago apparently there was a lot of infection and I was put on antiobiotics and the tooth was left open to drain; a week after the endodontist put in a temporary filling and that night I had excrutiating pain again. When I went in the next day he said I needed to have the temporary filling removed and kept me on antiobiotics while the filling was open. No more pain. Another week has passed and he put in another temporary, but the throbbing has started again. I am worried that something has gone terribly wrong with the root canal. Should I still be having this throbbing again? I have had 3 weeks of antibiotics so I can`t believe that there`s still an infection. I have never had this problem with other root canals I have had. Should I go back to the endodontist and have the temporary removed again? Or will this throbbing go away by the time the permanent filling is put in next week?

Thanks for your advice.

Answer:

Antibiotics alone will not clear infection from your tooth. It is unusual to continue to have pain every time a temporary filling is placed. This may indicate that there is something wrong with the tooth or that there is an area of the tooth that is still infected. I am unsure if your root canal treatment has been finished but since you are still having problems, I would talk to your endodontist or seek a second opinion.

Go to the Root Canals health topic, where you can:

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics