What is the cause of this pain and throbbing

01/12/2009

Question:

Hi One of my front teeth was root canal filled and crowned over 10 years ago. It has started to hurt a lot when biting down or when other teeth touch it. I also have a throbbing sensation and soreness in the gum above this tooth and also some soreness and an odd sensation in the hard palate above(feels like it beats or jumps when pressed with the tongue in certain places). My lower jaw aches intermittently too. Prior to this pain (several days ago) I had what I thought was a sinus headache. Before that, I had tenderness in the bridge of my nose and my nose felt blocked. I have not noticed any swelling anywhere but I think my breath is smelly. Is this some kind of infection needing antibiotics? I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question - thank you

Answer:

You have mentioned numerous symptoms and your diagnosis could be a number of different things. You would need to be evaluated for any conclusions to be reached. I would recommend that you seek an evaluation by an endodontist.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics