Wellness Center

Supplement

01/15/2009

Question:

I was recently looking at a supplement in which one of the main ingredients was deer antler velvet. It explained that this is not just the velvet part that falls off of a deer`s antler but rather the antler itself while it is still soft and growing. The description explained that due to the way antlers develop that the supplement would help to boost metabolism and increase testosterone. What could be some of the down sides to this? Is it safe? Could the extra testosterone cause me to start sprouting more hair like puberty all over again? Also, I have heard that steroids could cause shrinkage in the male area. Could the extra testosterone also cause this? Is it even true?

Answer:

Q: What could be some of the downsides to this?
A: Depends what is really in the product.

Q: Is it safe?

Q: Could the extra testosterone cause me to start sprouting more hair like puberty all over again?
A: Most hair loss is due to too much testosterone, so not so much.

Q: Also, I have heard that steroids could cause shrinkage in the male area. Could the extra testosterone also cause this?
A: Not true.

Go to the Wellness Center health topic, where you can:

Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP
Professor of Family Medicine