Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


Ear problems



I have an allergy to any type of metal touching my skin. Last week I used ear phones that didn`t have those foam covers but it did have some plastic covering parts of the metal so I though that it would be ok. The next day my ear canal was very tender and swollen. Is there any treatments that can be used to treat an allergic reaction in the ear? Can it be treated like skin on the rest of my body with the same creams?


It is likely that part of the metal came in contact with your skin. There are special formulations for treatment of ear canal allergies. Your doctor will be able to prescribe one of these.

For more information:

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

Response by:

I Leonard Bernstein, MD I Leonard Bernstein, MD
Clinical Professor Emeritus
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati