Diabetes

Diabetic, enlarged spleen

01/21/2009

Question:

I HAVE AN ENLARGED SPLEEN SHOWN BY U/S, DIABETIC-SUGAR AROUND 190, CREATININE 6, HIGH TRIG, HIGH CHLESTEROL, ANEMIC 7.8 NOW 11 WITH 325MG IRON X2 DAILY. DOCTORS SAY THAT MY BODY IS DESTROYING ITS OWN RED BLOOD CELLS. I DO NOT DRINK OR SMOKE. I DO EAT RED MEAT. WEIGHT 190 5`6". Do you have any suggestions for test or answers? I go to an oncologist. THANK YOU.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your symptoms. However, NetWellness may have some general information available that you can access through our search feature.  While I can't really make suggestions for you about tests or answers, I can make suggestions about questions.  You are describing some of the details about what is going on but not so much about the "big picture," namely an overall view of the underlying cause.  I can't tell whether that is because you don't know or your doctors don't know or because of how you wrote your question.  I encourage you to sit down with your doctor or nurse and ask questions about what the underlying problem or problems seem to be and what sort of strategy is needed to best understand those and try to deal with them.  My guess is that if your doctor or nurse knows that you have these questions, he or she will want to do the best they can to help you understand, so that you know what to expect and can do the best things for your own health.  Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Go to the Diabetes health topic, where you can:

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD
Professor of Clinical Medicine