Colorectal Diseases

Colostomy reversal

01/26/2009

Question:

7.5 weeks ago Ihad a perforated bowel;the doc said he removed about half of my right colon? he also said after 5 month`s + he could reverse the colostomy [descending].I am trying to find out what the chances of a recovery are,wha t complications, conditions may occur after the reversal. Can the quality of lifebe affected? Just looking for general information, thank you

Answer:

These are all great questions. For the best information, taking into account your specific case and other health conditions, you should ask your surgeon for explicit answers.

In general, colostomy closure is quite safe, because it is done electively in an otherwise healthy patient. There are of course risks associated with any surgery on the intestinal tract, like infection, bleeding, and anastomotic complication. Lifestyle after surgery is related to the amount of colon and rectum that is left in place; this will determine consistency and frequency of stools.

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division