Bleeding after sex after tubal

01/23/2009

Question:

I had my tubes tied almost two months ago, and now every time my husband and I have sex I will spot for about two days. What could cause this. All pap smears have came back normal.

Answer:

There are many possible reasons for bleeding after intercourse.  There could be a small tear or injury.  There could be an infection that causes the vaginal or cervical surface to be inflamed and bleed easily when touched. There could be a small growth, such as a polyp, that has an inflamed surface.  Or there could be an abnormal growth on the cervix called dysplasia that can be a precursor of cervical cancer.

There is no reason that having the tubes tied should trigger this kind of bleeding.  However, it is possible that having surgery caused some small injury or inflammation that would heal over time. 

If the situation does not improve within the month, see your doctor to check for a different problem.

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Assistant Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology