Incontinence

Bladder Sling Surgery

01/26/2009

Question:

I recently underwent this procedure and I still urinate whenever I sneeze or cough too hard. What I am even more concerned about, however, is that I can actually feel the solidified surgical mesh inside my vagina. It is as if it were pushed through after a coughing episode. At first I thought it was just undissolved sutures, but it is definitely surgical mesh that I am feeling. I have scheduled an appointed to return to my doctor within the next couple of days, but I am not comfortable seeing her. A few days after the surgery I noticed that my labia on one side were stitched together. As it turns out, she had left a `holding stitch` in place. In any event, is it possible to remove the surgical mesh if it has attached itself to the vaginal tissue?? I still have tenderness if I sit for too long, and it has been nearly two months since the surgery. Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

Answer:

You should see your surgeon. There is a possibilty that the mesh has eroded through the vagina. If early enough it can be removed and or replaced. Continue your trust for, another surgeon may get confused.

Go to the Incontinence health topic, where you can:

Ahmad  Hamidinia, MD Ahmad Hamidinia, MD
Formerly, Professor of Clinical Surgery