Creatinine Levels and What to Do

01/28/2009

Question:

My 9 year old son had HSP 3 years ago. I did not have annual blood/urine tests until today. He has been more lethargic and pale looking, so much so that friends at school have noticed that he isn`t acting his usually bright self. He is not the best sleeper, but that isn`t something new, so I wanted to make sure his lethargy wasn`t something to do with his HSP or something else.

His UR Creatinine Random levels are high (139.95). Next, his Chemistry General report shows his Creatinine level to be low (.62). All other results are within normal limits. eg BUN is 15 and GFR >90

What does this mean and how do I proceed?

Answer:

It sounds like he is fine from the standpoint of his kidneys. His serum creatinine is normal and the GFR is normal. His symptoms probably are not related to his HSP. To be on the safe side, however, I would check with his pediatrician or pediatric nephrologist.

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology