Lump on the floor of the mouth

01/23/2009

Question:

Hello, I have a lump on the floor of the mouth under the tongue near the front gums. Just left of the center of the floor of the mouth near the gum but not quite touching it. It started out as a larger swelling and now it`s down to a small harder lump, 1/4-1/2cm in length and nearly circular. I`ve noticed it since Early October. Doesn`t hurt. I do like to use metal cleaning picks to clean my teeth. 26 year old male

What do you think this could be?

Thank you

Answer:

What you describe could be several things, but it would be very unlikely for this lump to be a serious problem. The characteristics you describe best fit an oral lymphoepithelial cyst. That mouth-full of words translates into a small cyst that has formed just under the skin of the floor of the mouth. This cyst is usually associated with white blood cells called lymphocytes, hence the name. Similar aggregates of lymphocytes are seen in tonsil tissue, and lymphoepithelial cysts can also been arise in the tonsils.

I recommend that you get an appointment to see an oral and maxillofacial surgeon to discuss the need for additional tests or even removal of the lump to make sure you have the correct diagnosis. Good luck!

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology