Urinary Disorders

Blood After Urination

My son complains of pain when urinating, and, afterwards, blood comes out from the urethra. I have taken him to a specialist 3x`s over the past 3 years but they keep saying he`ll grow out of it.

I am worried. He is now 14 (will be 15 in 2 weeks). He says it comes and goes. I notice it bothers him more during active sport seasons (lacrosse & football).

He had an inguinal hernia operation when he was 6 weeks old. Could there be any connection? What should I do?

This is not a rare problem, but it certainly can be very bothersome. A recent study from New York suggested that in many cases the bleeding results from dysfunctional voiding, meaning incomplete relaxation of the internal sphincter muscle. Treatment with laxatives or alpha-blockers (e.g., Hytrin, Flomax) helped improve symptoms in most patients. Last year I took care of a teenage boy who had significant bleeding, as you describe, and no treatment had been helpful. Within a week of starting laxative therapy with Miralax, the bleeding stopped.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology